St. Margaret Mary School, a private Catholic elementary school, has been educating children in the metropolitan community of Omaha, Nebraska, for almost 100 years. The school, established in 1921 by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, serves kindergarten through eighth grades.
The school had humble beginnings in 1921 taking up just 2 rooms in a building intended for the parish house. Here, two Sisters of Mercy began teaching 40 students among 4 grade levels.
Construction of the new St. Margaret Mary School and Parish structure, on 50th and California Streets, was completed in 1922. This 2-story brick building featured 3 classrooms on the main level and a Church on the second floor.
In 1924, Monsignor Joseph Suneg, a priest and talented wood carver, became the pastor and administrator. By 1931 one hundred sixty pupils were enrolled and thirteen students graduated.
Monsignor Suneg opened the doors of the present school building on 62nd and Dodge Streets in 1951 and stayed until his retirement in 1969.
A 2 ½ year renovation and expansion project of the school and parish began in 1996, with school improvements including mechanical and electrical renovation. The project added an elevator, administrative offices, two computer labs, a new resource library, a music room, a science lab and made accommodations for handicap accessibility.
In 2007, a geothermal heating and air conditioning system, plus new thermal paned windows were added to the school building.
During the summer of 2018, the front school offices were renovated to make a dedicated space for an Assistant Principal. The hand-carved woodwork from the front lobby area was saved and replaced on the new walls. Framed collaborative works created by SMM 7th and 8th graders, depicting Mary, Jesus, and the Sacred Heart, hang on the walls.
Over 2018 summer, the former apartment space on the 2nd level, which originally provided housing for nuns who taught at the school, was transformed into an art room. Students of all grades enjoy the new space which offers natural light from the east and the west for their art class every week.
As one of 28 elementary metropolitan schools of the Archdiocese of Omaha, Nebraska, St. Margaret Mary serves the needs of 535 students from its location in the central part of the city.
The foundation for such interaction is the St. Margaret Mary parish community, committed both spiritually and financially to the achievement of this philosophy. Our desire is to encourage each member of the Saint Margaret Mary community to become personally responsible to God, self, family, and country. Within this environment, it is the purpose of St. Margaret Mary School to produce happy, successful, active members of the Body of Christ and the community.
Commitment to Excellence in Education
In 2008 St. Margaret Mary School was designated a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
As we continue the second decade of the millennium, we are charged with the task of producing students who will be equipped to work and live in a global society that will demand much from them. They will need to be members of the Body of Christ who are spiritually, emotionally, morally, intellectually, physically, socially and technologically equipped to live their lives based on the Gospel values and the Catholic Tradition.